Support for Carers

"A carer is anyone, including children and adults who looks after a family member, partner or friend who needs help because of their illness, frailty, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction and cannot cope without their support. The care they give is unpaid." (NHS England)

Do you care for a child with a disability, someone elderly or disabled or with a mental illness or problems caused by drug or alcohol misuse? If you care for someone whose health or well-being could suffer without your help, you are a carer. If you are a carer, you may be entitled to financial support from the government. There are also a range of local services which can provide practical and emotional support for carers:

NHS Choices Guide to Care and Support - this page includes information about carers' rights, money and legal advice and other issues related to carers and caring.

Camden Carers Services (tel: 020 7428 8950) and Westminister Carers Services (tel: 020 3757 7286) - these are  local carers organizations. They can help you with a range of useful advice and links to local services, activities and groups.

Carers UK - this is the homepage of a national charity which aims to provide support and information for carers.

Carers Trust -  is a major new charity for, with and about carers. They work to improve support, services and recognition for anyone living with the challenges of caring, unpaid, for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems.

The Royal Free Hospital has a Dementia Care Lead - Danielle Wilde ( or 0207 794 0500 ext: 35672). You can contact her if you are the carer for someone with dementia and they are admitted to the Royal Free Hospital, Barnet Hospital or Chase Farm Hospital. She will be able to act as a representative on behalf of yourself and the patient.