Forms and Medical Reports

Absence from work

Employees only need a fit note from a doctor after seven days off work sick. If they are ill just before or during their holiday, they can take it as sick leave instead.

Fit notes and proof of sickness

Employees must give their employer a doctor’s ‘fit note’ (previously called a ‘sick note’) if they are off sick for more than seven days in a row (including non-working days). Fit notes should be issued by the doctor who has been treating the patient, which  would normally be the patient's GP. However if a patient has been discharged following a hospital admission or operation, it is the responsibility of  the hospital doctor (not the GP) to issue a fit note which should cover both the time the patient spent in hospital and the expected recovery time afterwards.

Fit notes will say the employee is either ‘not fit for work’ or ‘may be fit for work’. If it says the employee ‘may be fit for work’, employers should discuss any changes that might help the employee return to work (e.g. different hours or tasks). The employee must be treated as ‘not fit for work’ if there’s no agreement on these changes.

Employers can take a copy of the fit note, the employee should keep the original.


If you have been off sick for less than seven days, your employer will be able to accept a SC2 form, which allows you to claim Statutory Sickness Pay. This is called ‘self-certification’. Employers usually provide their own version of this form but you can also ask for a SC2 form from reception or click here for an online copy to print and fill out yourself.

Fit notes for less than seven days absence from work

Due to self-certification rules, there is no legal requirement for an employee to have a fit note issued by a doctor for work absence of less than seven days. If you have been off work for less than seven days and would like your GP to issue a fit note, please be aware that they have no obligation to issue you with a note. If they do issue you with a fit note and you have been off work for less than seven days, you will be asked to pay a fee to the practice which covers the doctor and administrative time incurred. 

Absence from school

If you child is ill and misses school, please do not book an appointment to get a doctor's letter for school. We do not issue such letters and instead use a generic letter than you can click here to download and print (or you can ask reception to print a letter for you without an appointment). Of course, if your child is ill and you are worried about your child and would like them to see a doctor, please book an appointment or ask to speak to the Duty Doctor.

Housing Letters and Reports

If your feel that your current housing is unsuitable because of the way it affects your health problems, or if you believe that your health problems should make you a priority for rehousing,  then you should contact the council directly and they will ask you to fill out a form to support your claim. You can click here for further information on this process in both Camden and Westminster. 

If the council require further information regarding your health problems then they will write directly to your GP. Please do not ask your GP directly for a letter to support your rehousing and they will not be able to do this for you. You can ask reception to print out a copy of your medical summary, for which there is a fee of £10 to cover the administrative time incurred.

Non-NHS Fees and Charges

Our doctors' priority is to focus on the medical care and health needs of our NHS patients. Writing certain letters or filling out forms is done in the doctors' own time, outside of the day-to-day care of their patients. The practice charges fees for certain medical letters, reports and certain medical examinations. These fees reflect the time spent by the doctors and the administrative team and are the standard fees recommended for such work by the British Medical Association. You can read more here about why GPs sometimes charge fees.

Please give your form or request for a letter to the reception team. They will be logged by a member of our admin team who will then phone you to advise you of the fee. If you are happy to proceed, then it will be passed on to the relevant GP. You will be contacted once it has been completed. Current turnaround time is approximately 3 weeks.

Fees for Medical Reports and Letters

Non-chargeable forms

Forms relating to central government departments and agencies (i.e. DWP,accessible transport etc.) do not carry any charge.